In recent weeks, some residents of Old Ottawa East have reported thefts of wallets, a backpack and other personal items from vehicles and front yards. Ottawa Police Sgt. Patricia Urquhart (613-236-1222, ext. 5680) is the community police officer who oversees central Ottawa and recommends these universal points to help reduce your risk of theft:
• Some theft and property crime reports can be filed online at: http://www.ottawapolice.ca/en/contact-us/Online-Reporting.asp
• No incident is too small to report. The more information available to police, the more they can detect patterns of potentially criminal behaviour.
• Ottawa Police can inspect your home to suggest improvements in home safety.
• Ottawa Police can speak to youth on how to stay safe.
• Ottawa Police will deliver “All Valuables Removed” signs to insert in your vehicle window, which they say reduces the incidence of theft.
• Maintain an active presence on the street. For example, some parents of schoolchildren in other neighbourhoods participate in a “walking school bus” program, where children walk to school together with a trained leader and pick up their friends along the way (www.ottawaschoolbus.ca/wsb).