OOE Children’s Garden part of Sustainability Tour of Ottawa – September 14
The Children’s Garden has been selected as one of 10 sites across the city showcasing themes of sustainability in the Ottawa Sustainability Tour this Saturday (September 14). The garden will be illustrating the theme of food. Below are more details:
Date: Saturday September 14th
Time: 8:30am start
Location: Richelieu Park, Vanier
Each venue on the tour illustrates a different theme of sustainability. Participants are invited to travel by car, bicycle, or bus to visit the remarkable places highlighted as part of this self-guided tour. A tour book will guide visitors to the sites and explain the following themes of sustainability: transportation, energy, design, habitat, food, natural capital, waste, health, recreation, and a sense of place.
The opening launch begins at 8:30 a.m. with free pancakes at North America’s only urban maple sugar shack in Richelieu Park, Vanier. After the 9:00 a.m. opening ceremony with Mayor Jim Watson and Councillor Mathieu Fleury, groups of cyclists, cars and perhaps a bus will depart on their adventure. Five other sites along the route will also hold events that day:
– Corktown Footbridge: a choir and information on sustainable transportation (AM)
– University of Ottawa: Première Moisson coupons for early arrivals, site explanations (AM)
– Fletcher Wildlife Garden: Volunteer experts to answer your questions about habitats (PM)
– Algonquin Centre for Construction Excellence: Interpretation of building features (PM)
– terra20 – meeting with product experts, short waste reduction talks, light refreshments (PM)
The tour launch will also be the launch of two other Ottawa initiatives:
– Gemagram: a cloud-based app that will carry the tour book (bring your smart phone)
– Ottawa Learnery: talks that are rich in ideas, delivered with passion
A booklet of the tour is available on Ottawa Biosphere Eco-City’s website http://obec-evbo.ca/ which allows you to choose which sites you are interested in seeing at a time that is convenient for you! Booklet is available in French and English.