The Old Ottawa East Community Association (OOECA) is the volunteer run association representing the residents and businesses of Old Ottawa East.
Monthly meetings take place the 2nd Tuesday of the month.
- Meeting details and materials are posted to the OOECA home page.
- All are welcome to attend.
The community association endeavours to:
- Encourage citizen participation in the planning and development of the community.
- Provide a vehicle through which the opinions and desires of the people of Old Ottawa East can be made known to their elected representatives and government staff.
- Preserve and improve Old Ottawa East as a residential community and focus attention upon its history and heritage.
- Protect and enhance parks and greenspaces.
- Enhance amenities in Old Ottawa East with the goal of improving the quality of life for residents.
In addition to our overall mandate, the board has a set of strategic goals and priorities.
OOECA, along with other community associations, is a member of the City Centre Coalition, Citizens for Healthy Communities, the Coalition Against Queensway Widening, and Federation of Citizens’ Associations.
If you are interested in becoming a member, an annual membership to the OOECA costs $3 per household. Memberships are available for purchase at our monthly meetings. Minutes from past meetings are found on the Archive page. Our annual general meeting is held the second Tuesday in November.
For full details about the operation of the OOECA and who can be a member, please view our constitution and bylaws (updated in November 2012).
The Old Ottawa East Community Association board is comprised of:
- President – Bob Gordon
- Past President – Phyllis Odenbach Sutton
- Vice-President – Catherine Pacella
- Secretary – Kristine Houde
- Treasurer – Don Fugler
- Transportation & Infrastructure – Tom Scott
- Planning – John Dance
- Terms of Reference, including recommended member resources
- FCA (Federation of Citizens’ Associations) – Ron Rose
- Membership – Suzanne Johnston
- The Corners on Main/Greystone Village – Peter Tobin
- SLOE (Sustainable Living Ottawa East) – Jayson MacLean
- Parks and Greenspace – Jamie Brougham
- Lansdowne – Alexandra Gruca-Macaulay
- Health and Safety – Courtenay Beauregard
- Members at Large – Georgia Blondon
We work with the Community Activities Group (CAG) and the Sandy Hill Community Health Centre (SHCHC).
Our community newspaper is called The Mainstreeter, published six times a year (approximately every two months).
We also work closely with our elected officials at the municipal, provincial and federal level. They are:
- Shawn Menard, City of Ottawa, Capital Ward (http://capitalward.ca, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Joel Harden, Member of Provincial Parliament, Ottawa-Centre (JHarden-CO@ndp.on.ca)
- Yasir Naqvi, Member of Parliament, Ottawa-Centre (Yasir.Naqvi@parl.gc.ca)
For city concerns such as by-law enforcement, street and sidewalk maintenance, garbage and recycling, or community services, please visit Service Ottawa online, or call 3-1-1 or email email@example.com.