The Lees Avenue underpass rapid replacement will be completed in two phases. The removal of the existing structure will occur over the weekend of June 21, 2014, and the new structure will be installed approximately 12 weeks later.
Lees Avenue, between Chapel Crescent and the Transitway, will be closed to all traffic in advance of the removal of the existing structure, beginning June 16, 2014, and will remain closed for 13 weeks to permit the construction of the new underpass, construction of the roadway approaches, installation of the new underpass and construction of new approach slabs and barriers. During the week of June 16, preparatory work will occur on the existing Lees Avenue underpass and will include removal of the bridge end spans. During this activity, noise levels are anticipated to be moderate to loud in the daytime and overnight, and will include saw cutting of the bridge components.
During the closure of Lees Avenue, traffic will be diverted to Main Street and Greenfield Avenue. Pedestrian and cyclists will be detoured along the Rideau River multi-use pathways during the closure of Lees Avenue; this detour is subject to change throughout the closure, advance notice will be provided.
The existing Lees Avenue underpass structure will be removed the weekend of June 21, 2014. To be able to safely remove the underpass, Highway 417 will be closed in both directions, starting on Saturday, June 21, beginning at 6 p.m. until Sunday, June 22, at 11 a.m., at which time a single lane of traffic will be reinstated in both directions. All lanes on Highway 417, in both directions, will be reopened by Monday, June 23, at 5 a.m.
During the full closure of Highway 417 (June 21 at 6 p.m. until June 22 at 11 a.m.), traffic will be detoured as follows:
· Eastbound traffic will be required to exit Highway 417 no further east than the Metcalfe Street and will be detoured via Main Street and Riverside Drive where they may again access Highway 417 to continue travelling eastbound
· Westbound traffic will be required to exit Highway 417 no further west than Vanier Parkway and will be detoured via Riverside Drive and Bronson Avenue where they may again access Highway 417 to continue travelling westbound.
There will be no access to the following Highway 417 on-ramps:
· Highway 417 eastbound from Nicholas Street
· Highway 417 eastbound from Isabella/Metcalfe streets
· Highway 417 westbound from Vanier Parkway/Riverside Drive